Find Relief for Your Temporomandibular Disorder
Dr. Ken Dillehay or Dr. JK Dillehay can help determine if you have TMD and create a customized treatment plan to help relieve your symptoms.
Symptoms of TMJ / TMD
Millions of Americans suffer from chronic facial and neck pain and severe, recurring headaches. In some cases, this pain is due to temporomandibular disorder, also known as TMD.
Your temporomandibular joints, or TMJs, connect your lower jawbone to your skull. These joints get a lot of use throughout the day as you speak, chew, swallow, and yawn. Pain in and around these joints can be unpleasant and may even restrict movement.
- Pain in the jaw area
- Pain, ringing, or stuffiness in the ears
- Frequent headaches or neck aches
- Clicking or popping sound when the jaw moves
- Muscle spasms in the jaw area
- A change in the alignment of top and bottom teeth
- Locked jaw or limited opening of the mouth
If you notice that you are experiencing any of these symptoms, let Dr. Ken Dillehay or Dr. JK Dillehay know at a free consultation with Dillehay Orthodontics.
Not All Pain Is
Because of TMD
If you feel you might have TMD, it is always important to see Dr. Ken Dillehay or Dr. JK Dillehay and receive an exam. However, not all jaw pain is associated with TMD.
If you don’t have TMD, you can take many different preventive steps to maintain a healthy, strong smile.
- Relax your face — "Lips together, teeth apart."
- Avoid grinding your teeth.
- Avoid all gum chewing.
- Don't cradle the phone receiver between your head and shoulder — either use a headset or hold the receiver to your ear.
- Chew food evenly on both sides of your mouth.
- Do not sit with your chin resting on your hand.
- Practice good posture — keep your head up, back straight, and shoulders squared.
Talk to Us to Help Relieve Your Pain
Many people get TMD without ever having braces. Symptoms usually wax and wane regardless of whether braces are worn.
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed above and are concerned that you're a candidate for TMD treatment, please contact Dillehay Orthodontics for free a consultation.